Monday, July 13, 2009

Letterboxing


A few weeks ago someone told me about letterboxing and I was so intrigued by it that Moira and I have started looking for them. Letterboxes are little containers hidden all over North America by individuals. Some have direct instructions on how to find them and some have clues that you need to figure out to be able to track down their location. Inside each "box" is a stamp and a notebook. When you find the "box" you place your own stamp inside their notebook and their stamp in your notebook. It's a fun hobby to be able to collect the stamps and a neat thing that we can all do.

I decided to start searching for our first letterbox while we were in Athena this past weekend. There are quite a few here in town, but since we were going to be away, why not try to find one while we were gone. On Saturday night after the games were over for the day, we took a drive into Pendleton and found our first box. It was really exciting to search for it and then finally finding it. I'm looking forward to looking for some more and maybe hiding a box of my own.


Our first letterbox

Moira putting her stamp into the letterbox log



My log book with my first stamp

5 comments:

Erica said...

What a neat idea! How did you find it?

Robyn said...

Letterboxing.org and Atlasquest.com have letterboxes listed. I found some in Enumclaw so when you come down we can look for some together.

ManicMandee said...

I've never heard of that! It sounds like geocashing (is that how you spell it?) kind of. That's sounds pretty cool.

Robyn said...

Hey, Amanda! So good to "see" you again! Letterboxing is very similar to geocaching, but for this you don't need a GPS and it's swapping stamps in books. It's a lot of fun and it's something that we all can do. Once we get a little more into it, Moira and I would like to make our own letterbox.

Erica said...

Sounds like fun! I can't wait!