Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Past Life


A few weeks ago we had a small flood in our basement. Will and I frantically tried to get stuff out of the way of the incoming water so we threw things to the opposite side of the room, the bathroom and Moira's room. A few nights later I went to say goodnight to Moira and she was looking through my old sketchbooks. I had tossed them into her room so they would stay dry. I hadn't thought of my sketchbooks in years. They had been lying around collecting dust. Sitting there looking at my old drawings brought back a lot of memories. Moira was amazed and couldn't believe that I was the one who had done those drawings and paintings. I could hardly believe it myself. I haven't done any art work in years. Certain events robbed me of a big piece of my soul and my young, bold, full-of-life self died. That included the part of me that liked to draw.

Here are a few of the pieces that I found in my sketchbooks. This is just a fraction of what I have done.




I was fascinated with bubbles and how they were filled with swirling colours.


This was a dragonfly drawing that I worked on for a long time. I was so proud of it. But then an art teacher who I hated proceeded to write on the back of it with a black felt tip pen. The writing showed through to the front and was forever ruined. I never bothered to finish it.







This is what my lips really look like close up. I put red lipstick on, blotted them on a piece of paper and drew them.




When I was 17 I spent two weeks in Paris. This drawing came from a photo I took from my room at the hostel looking into the courtyard.

I don't know if I will ever draw and paint again. Maybe when the kids get older and I have more time and patience. For now, it's just a reminiscence.

6 comments:

Erica said...

Wow! I totally remember all of those. You had so much talent - all of my children love to draw and I tell them that they get that talent from their Auntie Robyn, not me. I always tell them how amazing you were and I always wondered why you had stopped, you should definitely start doing it again if the spirit moves you!

Anonymous said...

COOL!!!

Amanda

Rachel L. said...

You should take up drawing again! Those are really great! I've very recently started drawing again after years and years, too. Don't be afraid!

Robyn said...

Rachel - I didn't know that you liked to draw too. I'm glad to hear that you are doing it again. Sometimes I think that I would like to take it up again. Maybe when the kids get a little older and I have some more time. I'd like to see what you are working on.

Lise said...

Thank you for sharing these with us Robyn, I am not surprised at how beautiful your artwork is. I feel your pain about being so into drawing/painting when young and then years later it's like...what happened? Total girl interrupted. Lately I have been getting strong artistic urges and moments of inspiration and then I think, I don't have the time or energy. That's hard. I'm going to try not to let that stop me, and neither should you.

Tina Mitchell said...

you should scan the dragonfly into a computer and digitally take out the felt marker. an art teacher should know better then to actually write on someones art! THAT SUCKS