
“a most excellent man, though I could have wished his trousers not quite so tight in some places and not quite so loose in others.”
So, here are a few things that I learned from Great Expectations:
- Be true to yourself because pretending to be something you're not will not bring happiness (or fool anyone).
- Revenge and bitterness only hurts yourself.
- Be kind to everyone because you never know when you might meet them again (and possibly become your benefactor).
- Money can't buy love or impress others.
- Lies have a way of coming out in the end.
- Clothes do not make the man (or woman).
- Great expectations only come with honesty and hard work.
After watching this two part series, I'm really tempted to read the book again. Well, at the very least, watch the second part of the movie again this Wednesday when PBS replays it.
“If you can't get to be uncommon through going straight, you'll never get to do it through going crooked. [...] live well and die happy.”
“Herbert received me with open arms, and I had never felt before so blessedly what it is to have a friend. When he had spoken some sound words of sympathy and encouragement, we sat down to consider the question, What was to be done?”
3 comments:
Hi Robyn,
Saw that you had posted on your blog. We are loving the Dickens' series. The antagonists are super creepy, aren't they? Can't wait for the next one. Have you ever seen Bleak House? It's excellent and you can see it on Netflix streaming (if you have that). Gillian Anderson also stars in that one. Take care! Jenn Wolf
Hey, Jenn! Thanks for stopping by!
Thanks for letting me know about Bleak House. I did see it when it was on PBS, but I missed bits and pieces of it so I think I missed a lot of the story. I will definitely try to catch it on Netflix.
I don't know anything about this book. But you really got my interest going. I need to get the book or watch the movie asap!
Post a Comment