Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pimp My Ride



Check out my sweet ride. They say you never forget how to ride a bike and it's a good thing too because it's been seven years since I last rode my bike. For my birthday Will got it tuned up and with my birthday money I bought myself a basket, bell, helmet and lock. Will also got a bike trailer so that we could tow Kyla and Liam. It was so nice to go out as a family for a bike ride. We rode around the cemetary that is at the end of our street and fed the ducks in the pond and went to see the five caribou that are kept up near the funeral home. I felt so free on my bike, with the breeze flowing through my hair and the smell of the blossoms in the trees. Then there was the burning sensation in my upper thighs from lack of use. My muscles cried out, "Stop! I hurt!", but my spirit cried out,"More! More!' I've gone on several more bike rides since that first time. I had forgotten how much fun it is. I even rode it down to the fabric store the other day. Sure it took me longer to get ready and to ride there and back than if I had driven, but the benefits to my body and the environment far outweighed any hassle.

On another note, this is my 100th post. Wow! Who knew that I would make it this far?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome bike Robyn! And a great, fun way to exercise. I haven't rode since Max was a baby - I think I'm a scaredy cat of all the traffic. I would ride a bike back in my small hometown with the quiet streets in an instant. I think your new additions to the bike suit it perfectly, I can just picture you cruising around on it!

Anonymous said...

FUN! I'm so happy for you! We'll have to cruise around together a bit. Jimmy and I ran our errands on our bikes today and it was so fun! I'm looking forward to a lot more bike riding this summer!

Robyn said...

Lise - I'm a bit scared to ride my bike on the main streets, too. Boise drivers are not very pedestrian friendly. I try to stay on the side streets as much as possible. I can understand being scared to ride the streets of Victoria, but at the same time cyclists are so common and I think people are much more aware of them. And it's one thing to ride on your own than it is to tow a trailer behind you. I think I'll stick to doing errands on the bike when I can go by myself.

Robyn said...

Sarah - I think we should all go for bike rides this summer. Will has his and has much more stamina to tow the trailer than I do. We'll have to find a fun place to go and take a lunch with us. Moira will be off for track break at the end of the week and then gets off for summer break in July. We'll have to plan something together.