
I've been playing with chainmaille lately. This is a 4-in-1 Japanese pattern bracelet. It won third place.

These are the earrings that I submitted. I got second place. You can just make out my ring on the left side

These are Aimee's entries. All of her jewelry is recycled from different plastic bottles, like from dishwasher detergent, coffee containers and laundry soap. I'm proud to say that she won first for her bracelet, second for her pin cushion ring and third for her earrings and necklace.
I had also submitted a ring, but it didn't win anything. First, second and third places all win a small monetary prize, but it's the cheezy ribbons and bragging rights that Aimee and I were after. Plus, I think it was brave of us just to enter. While we were standing in line, I almost chickened out. I wasn't sure what some of the other entries would look like and I was afraid that mine wouldn't stand a chance.
While looking at all of the other entries, it dawned on me that judging is subjective. There were a few pieces there that I was shocked to see hadn't won anything. They were complex - more like works of art than jewelry. And some of the pieces that won, like the first place prize for earrings, were boring and unimaginative. What does that say about the judge?
We plan on going back to the fair as a family some time next week. I'm excited to have a look around at everything else.

6 comments:
Wooot !!! Awesome job Robyn !! I'm super proud of you !!
Thanks, Erin! I'm really excited.
Great job!! Who were the judges? You are right it is all subjective - not like the prize for the biggest squash!
I don't know who they find to judge. I'm curious to find out.
congrats! well deserved recognition! :)
I am totally excited that you won ribbons! See, there ARE some smart people out there. I love the chain necklace, stunning.
Post a Comment