Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Simply Cats


The girls and I are still volunteering every Sunday at Simply Cats. We look forward to going every week so we can visit the cats and give them some love.


This is Valentine. She was shot in the eye with a bow and arrow by a young boy. Her left eye has been sewn shut and her left ear is deaf. She is afraid of the kids and doesn't like sudden movements, but sometimes I'll go into her room by myself and she'll come and sit on my lap. She drools when she is especially happy.


This is Dark Sky. He is a love and is always rubbing against our legs. He is Kyla's favourite.


Inca Due and Brenda


This is Simon. He is Moira's favourite cat.

Dyllon. He is an affectionate cat too, but prefers adult company.


This is Ralphie. He sits by his door and waits for us to come in and pet him.


Maggie


Fradee. Normally he doesn't give us the time of day, but when Moira brings out the cat treats, he becomes very vocal and lets us pet him.

The hardest part of going to the shelter isn't seeing all the cats that need good homes, but missing them like crazy when they do find one. You get to know the cats and their personalities and you can't help but love them. You take for granted that you are going to be able to see them every week, but when they get adopted and they are no longer there, it's heart breaking.

6 comments:

ManicMandee said...

So you know I'm not a big fan of cats. They make me itch. But I think it's so cool you do this!!!
I was watching this commercial the other day about an organization that helps abandoned or abused cats and dogs and I was crying by the end of the very quick commercial. So sad what happens to them!
Mice on the other hand are the one animal I can't get a nice feeling for. It makes me feel bad, but they just creep me out! And cat's don't usually like them either. So I guess cats and I have a special bond in that way...

Robyn said...

Amanda - You crack me up! Mice don't bother me unless they come in my house. Then they are in my territory and that means certain death for them.

And, I agree, that the abuse against cats and dogs is heart wrenching. That's why I really like Simply Cats. The cats get rooms to live in. They are not caged and they have access to an enclosed outdoor area. Next time I'll have to take some pics of what the facility looks like. The cats there are well looked after. They have volunteers that come in every single day and some come just to love them. The cats are never put down unless they are very ill and there is nothing that can be done. Some cats have been there for years and they have one room that is just for permanent cats that will never be adopted out, usually because they have medical issues. It really is a great organization and one that I'm proud the girls and I can help.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Valentine is still there? I saw a newspaper article about him a month or so ago saying that in spite of the long line of people that was lining up to adopt him after he got shot he is still looking for a home. That's sad. What happened to all those people?
It's great that Simply Cat doesn't euthanize cats, but what happens when they are full and can't take anymore cats? They send them to the IHS, right? :-)
-Terhi

Robyn said...

Terhi - I think that when Valentine was first in the news everyone felt bad for her and wanted to adopt her, but she had to heal first before she could go anywhere. People tend to forget so by the time she was healed up, people had changed their mind. She is such a sweet girl. It's really too bad. And I don't know what happens when they are too full to take anymore cats. I know they really encourage people to try to find homes for them rather than just drop them off. It's a sad, sad world out there for the pets and animals of this world.

Robyn said...

Update - When Kyla went in last Sunday we found out that Simon found a home with a friend of one of the volunteers. We were assured that he went to a very loving home. And Valentine went up to Kyla when she pulled out the treats. As long as Kyla moved slowly, Valentine was fine. I was so happy to see her not afraid of a child. Maybe, slowly, we can make her feel comfortable around them again.

Rachel L. said...

Blake was sitting on my lap looking at the cat pics with me. "Tee-oot!" he says, which means cute. :)