Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pam Rogers 1944-2010


Yesterday we said goodbye to a wonderful lady who left us too early in her life. Will's mom, Pam, passed away from cancer on October 14th. She found out a year ago in August that she had colon cancer. After surgery and a year of chemo therapy, she lapsed into a coma and died. Even though we all knew the time was coming, it still didn't prepare us for the feelings of loss and sorrow. Yesterday afternoon was Pam's funeral. A lot of people came to pay their respects, which I'm sure Pam would have loved since she was always a social person and loved to talk to anyone who would listen.


On our way to the funeral. Everyone looked so nice.


The funeral was at the Idaho State Veterans' Cemetery. Since Will's dad was in the army, he and Pam were both eligible to be laid to rest here.


Will and Jimmy playing Amazing Grace, Pam's favourite bagpipe song.


One of the pictures of Pam that was there.


Pam's ashes, along with a letter from Moira and the reed from Will's bagpipes.



Pam lived for her grandkids. There were lots of sleep overs and shopping trips. A couple of years ago, Pam and Jim took the kids up to the winter festival in McCall.


Moira's birthday this past May


This is Pam with her oldest friend Barbara. This was at my baby shower for Kyla.


A few weeks ago, some family from out of town came down for a visit. This is Pam with her oldest grandchild, Morgan.

It's never easy watching someone you love suffer and knowing that there is nothing you can do for them. I should be happy that Pam isn't hurting anymore and that she is in a better place, but the selfish part of me wishes she was still here. I could really use her help making the kids' Hallowe'en costumes and last week, when I was trying to finish up my very first crocheted sweater, I wanted her to teach me how to block the pieces. There will always be a hole in my heart, not only for my own sense of loss, but for that of Will and the kids. Will lost his mother and my kids lost a grandma, both significant roles in their lives. We all talked fondly of her this past weekend and I know that we will continue to do so for the rest of our lives. Pam has touched us all in a most profound way.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Robyn,

I have not been very faithful checking my blog list lately. Saw your link posted and thought I'd catch up. Saw the sweet pics of the kids at the corn maze and then scrolled down to this post and... sadness. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know she'll be greatly missed. May God comfort you and give you his peace.

Robyn said...

Thanks, Jennifer. It's been a sad time for all of us. I'd like to think that Pam and I had a special relationship - she lost her daughter a number of years ago and my own mom lives far away. I think we became surrogates for each other. The world seems emptier without her in it.

Lise said...

Robyn, like your friend Jenn I haven't been on your blog for awhile. I've been loving catching up with what you've been up to. This post is both beautiful and heartbreaking, it brought tears to my eyes. So much love for her and so much that she gave. And Moira's sweet letter to her. My condolences to your family and especially to Will for your loss.