Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Day!

I've always thought that Leap Day was a bit spooky. It shows up for a few hours then it's gone for years before it shows up again. It's very Brigadoon-esque. I keep waiting for something magical to happen, but it never does. It ends up being just another day. When I was in grade ten, there was a boy in my math class who's birthday is February 29th. We were all fascinated by this and asked him all kinds of questions about how he celebrates his birthday. Then, of course, we had to tease him that he was really only a few years old since, technically, his birthday only came every four years. He was a good sport and laughed along with us. I'm sure he was used to trying to explain his very rare birth date.

So, on this rare day, I will honour the occasion with a blog post. (That's kind of magical, isn't it?)

I've been working on some more embroidery pieces to put in my Etsy shop. These two are my favourites:



I used yarn to make the french knots so that the clouds and the sheep wool really stand out. It gives the pieces really great texture.

It's time to start making my upcycled skirts and shirts again so yesterday I hit the thrift store. I have two favourites: the Idaho Youth Ranch, because the money stays in the state and helps troubled kids, and the Northwest Animal Companion thrift shop because I love to help the animals. I always find some great stuff and yesterday I found a great collection of fabrics, including these:

These are some colourful, silky fabrics. I inherited my mother-in-law's serger which I am so grateful for. Her death has been hard and I still really miss her. I think I'll use the serger to make some fun spring time scarves.

I also found this maple leaf fabric that I couldn't leave behind. It's a heavy duck cloth.


Today Moira had a Power Point presentation at school on Abigail Adams. Liam and I went to see it.

Waiting...

Moira giving her presentation

Moira's classroom

The other day I looked out my sewing room window and saw that my bulbs are starting to poke their heads up again. I was so excited! Spring must be just around the corner.

Sorry for all the wonky fonts and alignments. Blogger isn't cooperating and it's making my posts look odd. :(

4 comments:

Terhi said...

I heard that there's a family that have 3 of their 4 kids born on Leap Day (and as far as I know there are no twins or triplets in that family). They made a world record, needless to say.

I love the embroidery! The sheep especially is especially cute and fluffy looking. :) The tofus are produly hanging in my kitchen (thank you!!). I think my whole family could live on just tofu for weeks. :)

You found some awesome materials. Can't wait to see what you will turn them into! They should keep you busy for awhile... Ha ha!

Terhi said...

produly=proudly (I do know how to spell, at least mots of th tyme)

ManicMandee said...

I have been thinking about you so I had to come check your blog. Glad you're still there. Miss you! Really!

Robyn said...

Thanks, Amanda! Miss you too!