Friday, January 2, 2009

For the Birds


I took our Christmas tree out of the house the other day and set it up in the backyard. Yesterday Moira and I redecorated it for the birds. We strung up some popcorn and orange and apple slices. I also put some of the fruit along the back fence for the squirrels. 




Then I gave Suki a good brushing and left her fur on the grass for the birds to soften up their nests. 


We love to watch the birds and squirrels in our yard. This year I would like to get our yard registered with the National Wildlife Federation as a backyard wildlife habitat. It's actually not that hard. Our yard at our other house would have qualified. We'll just have to redo the same things here. It will be a fun challenge. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's such a great idea - what fun!!

Anonymous said...

We decorated our Christmas tree with strings of pop corn, but Emma kept eating them. Since she gets lots of other things to eat, too, I decided that the birds need the pop corn more than she does, and took the strings outside to our last year's Christmas tree (that is still waiting to be shredded). The birds loved it and all the pop corn was gone in no time!
Your Backyard Christmas Tree looks really pretty and I'm sure the brids and squirrels appreciate the treats. Does Suki let them eat in peace and quiet? :-)
-Terhi

Robyn said...

So far Suki has left the birds and squirrels alone. She's been inside a lot lately too, so that helps. Yesterday afternoon I watched a squirrel take a piece of apple that I had left hanging on the fence, scamper up to the top of the fence and eat it. I wanted to take a picture, but my camera wasn't where I thought it was and, by the time I located it, he was gone. I'll have to leave out more and have my camera ready next time.