We had a good "conversation" on the Respect Part II post so I thought it would be fun to try it again, but this time I will leave it up to you. What would YOU like to talk about? Husbands, kids, life? Is there something that you want to gripe about? Well, here is your chance. This is a safe blog. I am selective on who I allow to read it so feel free to let 'er rip and know that it will go no further.
Have some fun!
19 comments:
So what happens on the Rogers/Taylor Blog Spot, stays on the Rogers/Taylor Blog Spot?
Of course! I don't even tell Will. I've configured the filters so that this blog won't show up on any searches and I'm selective on who I allow to see this. I don't keep frivolous relationships in my life so everyone I know means the world to me and they are loving and trustworthy. I certainly didn't intend this post to be a place where you could air your dirty laundry (unless you want to), but just so we could talk about whatever.
I'll get it started.
Last night I was looking for a recipe for gingerbread cookies and then suddenly I became homesick, but not for friends and family. It was food! I craved my mum's baking that she always did at this time of year, like yorkshire pudding, nuts and bolts and butter tarts. I wished that I could be a kid again and dive into all those yummy treats. Food has never been important to me. It was only a means to not passing out from low blood sugar. But last night I got frantic, even obsessive, and went through my recipe cards and Canadian cookbooks to find old favorites. It was odd.
So, now it's your turn.
It must be because we grew up together Robyn because I get the same way this time of year. I'm not normally a sentimental person but this time of year always does it for me. The smells of the Christmas tree and of course Mum's wonderful baking - thanks Mum!! I don't think that I've managed to recreate that feeling for my children but hopefully they will carry other great memories of their childhood into their adulthood.
Erica - We must be on the same wave length because I wonder too if I have created wonderful memories for the kids. I think when it comes to Christmas, memories are always magical. The tree, the presents, the decorations, are all part and parcel and you can't help but have good thoughts when you look back.
I leave this open to everyone - What is your favorite memory of Christmas?
My other favorite would have to be going shopping at The Bay with Nana and Papa and trying out all of the beds! I loved picking out all of the gifts that I was giving that year and paying for them with my own money. Also looking at the Eaton's Christmas windows. It was always so cold but I always felt warm holding Nana's hand and staring in wonder at all the neat window displays (even though they were the same every year it was like I was looking at them for the first time.)
I think about shopping with Nana and Papa every Christmas too. The window displays were so great (they were at Woodward's). Nobody does that anymore. The window displays are just ordinary. It's too bad.
I'm not sure what my favorite part about Christmas was. Shopping definitely, but I think the presents, both given and received, was my favorite part. I wanted to make people as happy as I was with the perfect present. I loved how we used to have to sit at the top of the stairs Christmas morning and wait for Mum to turn on the lights on the tree before we could go down. It was so neat to see how the living had transformed over night. I think that I have so many great memories that I could go on and on listing them all. The only time I didn't like Christmas was after Mum and Dad got divorced. Things went downhill from there.
Yeah - they weren't as much fun after that were they? I've never really enjoyed Christmas since then and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because of the stress of money, having to always do all of it on my own with the kids, having to be around all of those people (Yikes!!) or more likely it's a combination of all of those things. I always wonder too if every year it is just such a let-down after our great years as kids. This year should be good because of the financial gift from Dad and Sharon and Jake helping with the tree and the lights plus the added bonus of him not talking to his family this year (Santa must have read my letter!!!) It should just be a quiet year which is wonderful!
One thing I do remember about Christmas as kids that wasn't so great was how Dad always got so mad trying to put the lights on the tree and that one year that Mum sang, "Tis the season to be snarky!" Good times!!!
I remember that song too, but I don't remember Dad getting mad about the lights. I remember Mum getting mad at Dad, though. Odd.
I agree that Christmas just isn't the same. I think it just has to do with being an adult and knowing all the work that goes into everything. I'm petrified of the crowds too, so I either go during the week first thing in the morning or buy on-line. I can't believe how soon Christmas will be here. Are you ready?
Wow. Lots has happened on your blog without me! I missed out lately. You must have a lot of great childhood memories. And I am positive you are making some for your children. You are such a great mom. I like how you call your mom "mum". Very cute. You are great Robyn. And I'm so glad we met!
Amanda - You are so sweet. I'm so glad we met too. What is your favorite Christmas memory? With so many brothers and sisters you must have had a lot of fun.
Way too many memories! I have the most awesome siblings, that every time I am with them feels like Christmas. I guess my favorite Christmas was one in which my parents took us all up to Lake Arrowhead. We stayed in a cabin. (California.) It was the most fun ever spending Christmas there with my family. That was when I was about 10?
Amanda - I always hear you say how much you get along with your brothers and sisters, but was it always that way? Did you ever fight with each other? Sometimes I wonder what it would be like with lots of siblings. Erica and I were always so close that I guess I wouldn't want anyone else to butt in.
How about you, Erica? Do you ever wonder what it would be like to have lots of brothers and sisters?
Of course we fought. You silly woman. But even those have become funny memories. The sister I fought with used her nails and she was afraid of my kicking.
Amanda - it sounds like you had some down and dirty fighting. Way to go!!
I am so glad that we didn't have any other siblings, Robyn. I wouldn't have wanted to share you with anyone else!!
I'm always concerned about the way that my kids fight - they can be so mean! I hope that they are close when they get older because I know how important it is to be close to your siblings - they are the only ones who understand you when you bitch about your parents!! (Just kidding Mum!! - it's only Dad we bitch about - hee! hee!)
It's true! You always need to have someone on your side and a sibling is there no matter what. I'm sure the kids will eventually learn to get along. Mum kind of pushed us to be close. Maybe you should try doing some kind of group activity where they have to get along. What about a board game or baking. It seems like Emily and Caitlin get along or is that just when I'm there?
Emily and Caitlin used to be close but now that Emily is a little older she is more into computer games and reading and her friends while Caitlin is still into playing with her toys. Matthew and Emily have never gotten along, but he's alright with Caitlin and Connor but because of the age differences it's not as if they play together or anything. The two that are the closets are Emily and Connor - it's really great to watch - she's like his second Mum!
Mum really did push us to be close - and I'm really glad - but I think that it would backfire with my kids and they would end up resenting me!! We do try to do family activities but because Connor is still so young he usually ends up ruinng our games.
I guess all kids are different and you can't always force them to do what you want. The important thing is that they respect each other and hopefully they will become friends when they are older when age doesn't make much of a difference. Moira and Kyla don't always get along and a lot of it is the age difference. Kyla isn't old enough to play the kind of games that Moira likes to play, but if Moira is in the mood to play something that Kyla can do then they play really well together. I hope that they will be close. TIme will tell.
That's exactly what Caitlin and Connor are like! It's definately the age difference. I think with Caitlin she was so used to being the "baby" for so long that her nose is really out of joint because Connor came along.
Post a Comment