Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ding! Dong! Avon Calling!


Yes, it's true, I'm going to start selling Avon. I never would have considered it, but the friend of a friend decided that she needed a change and was looking for someone to take over for her. (Amanda, I'm taking over Dusty's clients.) After sending a few E-mails back and forth, I decided to give it a try. It doesn't take much work and it's something that I can do with the kids. I don't have to throw parties or fill quotas. I start off with 18 clients already. That really helps since I don't know a whole lot of people in Boise even though I've lived here for 11 years. I'm looking forward to being able to make some extra pocket money. 

Here are some interesting facts about Avon:
  • Avon started in 1886 and was originally called the California Perfume Company, located in New York City. 
  • Company changed it's name to Avon in 1939. Avon refers to Stratford-On-Avon, where Shakespeare is from. He was the founder's, David McConnell's, favorite playwright. 
  • Started selling in Canada in 1914.
  • First major cosmetics company to permanently end animal testing (1989).
  • In 2001, more Avon catalogues are printed than Us $100 bills. 
  • Avon has been committed to women's health issues like breast cancer awareness, domestic violence. They also donate to emergency relief.  
  • Avon is sold in over 100 countries.
I'm hoping that this will help to fulfill my resolution to find something just for me. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so cool that you are going to be an Avon Lady! I'll have to check out their website - I haven't looked at Avon stuff for years...I hope that it will be fun and successful for you!

Robyn said...

I have such fond memories of the Avon lady who used to come over to our house when I was a kid. (Mum, Erica - Remember Mrs. Lange?) She would come over and bring samples of products and I loved looking at all the neat stuff. They have added a lot of different things. There are separate vendors that are now selling exclusively through Avon. They even have a new line called "mark" that they are trying to promote towards younger women. They have some cool stuff. And Avon's stuff is so reasonably priced. You can buy a few things without breaking the bank. Definitely check out their website.

Anonymous said...

I love their mark products! They're pretty cool. I use Avon face stuff. Love it!
Don't forget me in your catalog drops!
I think it will be fun for you and then you won't have to embezzle money anymore. hehe

Robyn said...

Sarah - Unfortunately I only got enough catalogues to hand out to the existing clients, but I'm going to have a party in a couple of weeks and you are on my list. I agree, the 'mark" stuff is really cool. I can't wait to start trying some of it out. Now I can earn some of my own money and I won't feel guilty for going to the scrapbook store.

Anonymous said...

I have great memories of our Avon lady and all of the neat stuff we got! Good for you Robyn!
I know with the BeautiControl products that I sell it doesn't take a lot to make a few extra bucks. I only have two regular clients and I can sometimes make eighty dollars on one sale. I'm not sure how Avon works but I just sell my products and then I receive 30% off the sale so that is mine to keep and if there are good sales on some products I make even more money or if my sales are higher I get a bigger discount. I do all of the ordering myself on their website and the products are shipped directly to my house. I hope you have fun with it! And don't forget Avon products make great birthday presents (Hint! Hint!)

Robyn said...

Erica - I get your hint! You might start to get sick of Avon after awhile. They have lots of fun stuff. It sounds like Avon works like BeautiControl. I get to place my orders online and they get sent to me (even on Sundays!). The commission is on a sliding scale. The more I sell, the more I get. It starts at 30% and can go up to 50%, although you have to sell a lot to get the 50%. Dusty gave me a few clients that order on a regular basis, but between them and the others, I should be able to make quite a bit of pocket money. Plus I'll try to add some of my own friends to the mix. I'm not looking to get rich. I just want my own spending money.

Anonymous said...

I'm so bad because I often just end up spending the extra money that I make on more products for myself so I rarely ever make cold hard cash!

Robyn said...

Erica- That's what I'm afraid of too!!