Coombs and Cathedral Grove
On Monday of our trip we drove up to Coombs and Cathedral Grove, about 1.5 hours from where we were camped in Crofton. It was pouring with rain, but it didn't stop us from our trip. Coombs is a small town, but with great shopping. The Old Country Market is known for the grass and goats on its roof. Another building had sheep.


We have lots of pictures of Kyla crying at various places on our trip home. This is her crying in the forest.



This sign was placed in front of the above tree and reads: The Big Tree
The largest tree in the park is this giant Douglas-fir. It is over 800 years old, 76m tall and 9m around. It was over 300 years old when Christopher Columbus came to North America in 1492.
Douglas-fir is one of Canada's oldest living tree species and can live to be over 1000 years old.
(As you can see by the picture, this tree is taller than the Leaning Tower of Pisa. It's absolutely staggering how huge these trees get. )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's amazing how small we are next to these old giants.

Sometimes the wind comes whipping through these forests and blows trees down, like the one pictured above. There were warning signs in the park saying that if the wind starts to blow, leave immediately.








6 comments:
Oh Robyn, what an awesome trip! I love and miss you :(
Hey, Amanda!
It was a great trip. We did so many fun things. I still have lots more to post. I just didn't want everyone to be too overwhelmed by it all at once. Stay tuned for more!
I miss you too! Every time I drive through the old neighbourhood I keep expecting you to be there.
great pictures Robyn - they are beautiful!
great pictures Robyn - they are beautiful!
It's fun to look at the picture from your trip. They remind me of Finland - only the trees are a LOT bigger!
I love the quote on the sidebar. Our family fudge is chock-full of nuts. :-)
-Terhi
I love ALL of the pictures on your blog, everything looks great and I love the stories.
:)
I love you guys !
Post a Comment