Happy New Year, everyone!
I hope 2009 is filled with love and happiness for you all.
We had a very quiet New Year. Will and I and the girls stayed up playing the Wii until midnight. My arm still hasn't recovered. A few people in our neighbourhood set off some firecrackers, but by 12:15 all was quiet and we were in bed. I keep expecting midnight to bring enlightenment and big displays of fireworks. But instead, it's very anticlimactic and I go to bed thinking, "I stayed up for that?" This year was more fun, because the girls were up and Moira was so thrilled to still be up when the new year started.
A new year always brings a sense of having a clean slate, to fix the things that need to be fixed, of making a fresh start. It's a time for wanting to make improvements and, boy, do I want to make a lot of those. This year I made myself a little book and wrote down all the things that I want to do this year. I left myself plenty of room to add things as they come up and as I get things crossed off. Here are just a few of the things that I want to accomplish this year:


- Need I say more? I was hoping that, by posting these pics, I would embarrass myself enough to make a real effort into getting these two areas cleaned up. I wish I could say that I had been sick lately or that the kids did it, but the truth is, I have no one to blame but myself. I'm an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of gal, so when things are neatly put away in drawers and cupboards, I tend to forget that they are there. Hence the piles. Plus, I admit, I just have way too much stuff. The first picture shows my work area downstairs. Will went to a lot of trouble putting those shelves up for me so I could see what I have and I still have stuff everywhere. It's awful. So, my goal for the year is to get these two spots cleaned up and keep it that way.
- I also want to put more effort into my Etsy site and now my Polka Dot Dreams site on my cousin's MoodsXpress site (which goes live today).
- I have two quilting projects that I've started and really want to get finished.
- I want to apply to the Library and Information Technology programme at the University of the Fraser Valley. They now have this programme on line and I can complete the whole thing from home.
- I want to keep in touch with my friends and family better than I have been.
- I want to donate to Kiva.
Those are just a sample of the things that I want to accomplish this year. I have many more things listed in my book. It's going to be a busy year!
7 comments:
OMG - we are totally sisters!! For a moment there I thought you had snuck into my house and taken pictures! That's hilarious! I am sitting down with my family next week and having a serious discussion about the condition of our house - it is gross and now that the kids are getting older and I am busier there is no reason for it to be the way it is.
We stayed up playing Wii too - that's funny! We bowled and golfed and played baseball - it was great!
Hey I learned some new things about you. That's always a good thing. Happy New Year! And good luck with your goals. You'll do great.
Good idea to write down your goals! I should do that, too. Maybe that way I would remember them better. :)
What is Kiva? It's a Finnish word and means "fun", but I suspect in this context it is an English apprivation (sp?) or something.
I love New Year, too. I have already cleaned and organized the kitchen cupboards. Now it's time to tackel closets downstairs.:)
-Terhi
Terhi - That's cool that "kiva" means "fun". In this context it's not really fun, but it is interesting. Kiva is an organization that helps people in developing countries get loans to build their business. Their website is http://www.kiva.org/ if you want to check it out. You get to choose the person that you want to loan money to and it helps them help themselves. It's really neat.
So, do you donate your money or loan it? That sounds like a good oragnization. It's always good when people can get some help to help themselves.
-Terhi
With Kiva, you loan the money, but you run the risk of not getting your money back. So far they have had a really good success rate of people paying back the loans. The loan applicants go through a long screening process and are required to attend workshops. It's a really neat set up they have. I was really impressed.
Post a Comment